Monday, November 17, 2008

How my doctors visit went.

Well as some of you may know, I had a doctors visit today. It took over a month to get the darn appointment and I've been dealing with a cold and allergies so long my poor eyes look like I'm at the end of a year long binder. Thankfully I don't drink but you couldn't tell it by looking at me.

We discussed the fact that while I love her being my doctor, I can never get in to see her when I need too. So we decided on another doctor in the same system and building, that she can confer with, that's new and doesn't have as busy a practice.

We discussed the allergies and she prescribed a couple new meds to try and see if either of them worked better than the Allegra or Claritin (neither of which works for me any more) and she told me the Nasonex doesn't work if I don't remember to take it...giggle I know I know but who remembers to use nasal spray every darn day?

We discuss the possibility of me having PCOS and she ordered a bucket load of test. Granted I really don't want to have a chronic illness without a cure, but to have a name to why I feel and my body reacts the way it does would be wonderful. I've been suffering with most of these problems for more than 10 years.

She's also testing for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and I didn't even mention how tired I am to her. I guess she wants to rule everything out. I've not done any research into CFS but I don't really thing that's why I'm so tired. I do need to get in and see the rheumatologist because the arthritis in my hands is getting worse and that might very well explain the tiredness.

Anyway, after taking 5 huge vials of blood and leaving me with barely enough to function on... I feel like I was attacked by a vampire, except the puncture mark is in the back of my hand instead of my neck, I was told that it would be at least a week before I get the results. I'm guessing more like two since the lab tech said one of the vials had to be frozen and shipped off to Utah. It takes a week when they do the darn blood work in their own lab.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know how it went. I'm hoping for only good news.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I am hoping for only good news for you, too.

Big hugs,
Patty

Unknown said...

Good luck Vicki.

My doc diagnosed me PCOS. I can't think of too much about it right now, but honestly I don't feel that it's a huge deal. I take pills twice a day and I honestly think that's why I'm back to losing weight.

Whatever works, right?

As for the Nasonex... I'm with you. It's hard to remember to shoot liquid up your nose when you aren't sneezing. I've slacked for about two weeks (which I seem to do once or twice a year) and I'm almost to the point of miserable. So I started again last night and I'll just hope I didn't slack to the point that I'm getting a sinus infection.

As for the doc... my doc is a very popular lady around here, so usuallly when I go I end up seeing her husband. Recently, however, she demanded that I come in to see HER (I hadn't actually seen her in over a year) so we powowed and whatnot. She's awesome so I didn't mind.

Good luck! Hope it works out!

Jenn

Vikki said...

Thanks girl,
We've got our fingers crossed that one they don't find anything terrible and two, they find something that explains everything and can be corrected.
Big hugs right back at ya,
Vikki

Vikki said...

Hey Jenn,
Thanks for the reassurance about the PCOS. One of the treatments is to take low levels of homones which I can't take, the other is metaformin. I don't mind taking the later if it helps, but I've read that it can cause weight gain and that's one thing I really don't need..giggle So I guess I'll have to wait and see and go from there.

Your so right about the good doctors. Everyone wants to see them. Dr. Tucker is in a huge Health center with about 10-12 other doctors. And she's the one everyone wants to see. From what the nurses and office staff says she's got about 3x the case load of the other doctors. Which is great for her, and awful for me.

She and I went to high school together so she's a local girl done good...giggle One of the reasons I like her so much is because we can just talk and I know she listens.

My sister went with me one time and she said she didn't understand a word we said because we both talk at the same time, guess I never noticed it but we seem to understand each other just fine.

I'll really miss seeing her, she gave me a big hug and said we'd still see each other since it's the same complex and she'd be more than happy to consult with Dr. Peterson anytime. That made me feel better.

I'm so glad you to your diagnoses and that it's working out for you.

Take care and big hugs,
Vikki