Sunday, January 18, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

I roasted another 5 lb bag of leg quarters the other day and then made a big batch of stock.

I saved back the stock and part of the chicken so I could make a big pot of soup.  I just wasn’t sure what kind I wanted to make I thought about Tuscan Chicken Soup  but I didn’t have any kale and without the kale it’s just not the same, then I was thinking Tortilla Soup but I didn’t have any Rotel.  Then I remembered we never had our traditional after Thanksgiving Homemade Chicken Noodle soup.  Something my mom has been making for use since we were kids.  So I decided that Chicken Noodle sounded wonderful.

With Cindy and my aunt Val at the hospital most of the day I needed it to be something that would easy have hot and ready to eat whenever they straggled in. So instead of cooking the pasta in the soup I cooked it and let everyone put what they wanted in their bowls.  Makes it easier to freeze left overs too.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups chick stock (home made if you have it)
  • 3-4 cup water
  • 2 cups pre-cooked chicken
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots
  • 3/4 cup chopped celery
  • 4 gloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and fresh ground black pepper (a good shake of red pepper flakes adds a nice kick if you like)
  • Pre-cooked Dreamfield’s Pasta (we use the linguini)

Method:

  1. Saute veggies in a tsp. pork fat or butter
  2. Add stock and water let simmer until veggies are tender.  Don’t over cooked, remember you stock is already flavored
  3. Add chicken and season well.
  4. Serve with pasta and crackers for your carbivores. 

Some folks find that Dreamfields Pasta cause them blood glucose spikes, mom and I are among them, so we only use just a little pasta.  I think I had about a 1/3 cup of cooked pasta or about 1/3 a serving in my bowl, if that.  Of course you could use shirataki, or simply skip the noodles all together.

Don’t skimp on the garlic or it won’t be nearly as good, even though this is not a garlicky soup by any means.

Since pasta doesn’t freeze well and get mushy when reheating, having the pasta separate makes left overs much better or you can just freeze the left overs for another day.

(I didn’t get a picture today, but I’ll try to get one tomorrow when I have left overs)

2 comments:

Former Donut Junkie said...

Well, I loves me some Chicken Noodle Soup! My wife made some last week, but with Ramen noodles instead of LC, but I just had to have some! It's a winter time treat for me, especially when I've had a long day outside in the cold. Thanks for reminding me of the Dreamfields and Shirataki. Ron, aka The Former Donut Junkie.

Vikki said...

It was sooo good. I used up the last of the chicken today. I made Chicken Ala King. Family members had it over left over dreamfields, but I had mine over spaghetti squash. Oh my gosh it was good.

Hope you can get you a great big bowl of lc chicken noodle before too long.