Saturday, August 9, 2008

Coconut Flour Waffles

I love the flavor of Coconut Flour Waffles but I’m not nuts about the texture. If you eat them right away straight from the waffle iron their aren’t bad, but try to freeze them and you end up with waffle crumbs. Even straight from the waffle iron your more than likely going to have torn waffles. So I set my thinking cap on brilliance and I came up with so/so But hey we can’t always come up with gems, right?

Anyway there is a marked improvement in these from the original and I can testify from this morning breakfast that the freeze and reheat wonderfully. I think they would even hold up to cutting into waffle sticks… yum who doesn’t love warm wonderful syrup with waffle sticks to dip?
Here you go hope you try these and let me know what you think of them. And yes the egg count is right, it takes a lot of liquid in fat when working with coconut flour.
Ingredients:
© 4 lg. eggs, slightly beaten
© 5 tbsp. melted coconut oil or butter (I like the coconut oil)
© 5 tbsp. Hood calorie count down milk or equivalent in cream and water
© ¼ tsp. salt
© 4 tbsp. coconut flour, gently whisked
© ½ tsp. baking powder
© 2 tbsp. Hi-Maize 260 corn starch
Method:
1) Beat eggs, oil and milk until well blended
2) Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and Hi-Maize
3) Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
4) Let stand a couple minutes. If too dry add water a tsp. at the time
5) Heat waffle iron and brush with coconut oil
6) Pour batter evenly over the grids and close
7) If yours is an old one like mine, you might want to flip the whole waffle iron to ensure even cooking.
8) When steam stops and waffle is brown, remove to plate or cooling rake.
Make 4 large Belgian waffles. Serve with butter and s/f syrup.

I made my own syrup by whisking ¼ - ½ tsp. glucomannan powder into my DaVinci’s pancake syrup. It was just as thick as normal syrup, sweetened with Splenda and no carbs. But then I don’t use much syrup I prefer lots of butter with a touch of syrup… yummy good!

No comments: