Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chicken Fajitas

I spent a couple of days this week doing mass cooking and prep work. We found ground chucks on sale for less than $2.00 lb and bought a couple of the roasts and had about 8-10 lbs ground. If you’re a regular reader you know I did a massive ground meat work up before the hot weather set in.
Well I inventoried and rearranged my freezer earlier this week and I was good on meatloaves (18 mini loaves) but was completely out of bacon burgers, hamburger steaks and taco meat.
I’m happy to say we now have 6 dinners worth of bacon burgers, 3 dinners of taco meat and hamburger steaks now snuggly packed in my freezer. I have a roast (cooked) and taco meat in my fridge to dinners this weekend. I also have chicken fajita meat marinating in the fridge right now for tonight’s dinner.
It’s not really a recipe per se more a technique but I thought I would share how I make chicken fajitas with you.

Chicken Fajitas
Ingredients:
© Boneless skinless chicken breast – I find one per person is usually more than enough
© White onion, sliced into strips
© Green peppers, sliced into strips
© Taco or fajita seasoning of your choice (I use cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano and garlic for mine)
© 1 well seasoned cast iron skillet
© Small amount of coconut oil
© Olive oil
© Optional toppings* shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, guacamole, avocado slices, salsa or low carb tortillas.
Method:
1. Cut chicken into strips, season liberally and pop in the fridge to marinade
2. Slice peppers and onions, drizzle with a little oil, I like olive oil for this, season with salt and pepper and pop in the fridge.
3. When ready to cook melt just a little coconut oil in your cast iron pan, let it heat over med high until it’s smoking hot. Add meat and stir. When the meat is cooked through, (only a couple of minutes), remove and add peppers and onions. Remember to scrap up any little brown bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir fry the veggies.
4. Return meat back to pan and serve immediately.
I prefer mine with sour cream, guacamole and salsa. All mixed up and spooned over a nice fresh bed of lettuce then sprinkled with the shredded cheese. It’s looks less than appetizing that way, but it tastes delish!!!
Fajitas are basically stir-fried. While you don’t have to have cast iron to make them, I think it gives the fajitas a good flavor. If you don’t have one, you might consider it. They are inexpensive and if well taken care of they will last forever. I have my grandmother’s chicken fryer, my mom’s 14’ and 12’ skillets and then I have a double burner grill/griddle, a grill pan and a huge Dutch oven. I adore them all. Cast iron does take a little care, but in return, you get a pan that gives you excellent heat dispersal, will last for generations to come, sears meat better than anything you have ever seen before and holds heat for a long time.

No comments: